We’ve developed three key principles that have positioned us as strategic suppliers for large corporations. We believe they transcend the printing industry and are universal:
- Be a financially stable growth business that reinvests profits in the business.
- Continuously find ways to reduce overhead and manufacturing costs – allowing you to pass on “true” savings to customers – not just lowering prices to “buy” work.
- Develop a growth and development plan that’s followed, revised, updated and implemented – not just talked about.
Why? Because these are the attributes of a vibrant and growing firm Fortune 1000’s can trust and depend on.
There’s a real cost to Fortune 1000’s every time they bring on a new vendor. Sticking to our “3 Keys” allows Fortune 1000’s to reduce their vendor turnover while gaining the savings that come from partnering with a progressive, growing firm.
One example of a specific tactic we’ve deployed for many years is our Spotlight Advantage Program where we incorporate several paper-buying programs that generate customer savings of 15% – 30%. The program uses an “account aggregate volume” approach to purchasing paper (paper often accounts for 35%-50% of overall project cost) thereby allowing us to provide locked-in savings for our customers based on the volume of their annual printing spend with us. We use the committed volumes as leverage to negotiate better purchase prices with specific paper mills and brands.
This type of program does several things:
- Maintains brand consistency by unifying the brands of paper used within a corporate account,
- Provides real customer savings by reducing paper costs,
- Allows for accurate reporting, from paper suppliers/mills/print vendor, to our customer to determine program usage levels,
- Allows Corporate to control overall spend by limiting their buyers to purchase only paper from the program – allowing our customers to control paper use to recycled paper, specific brands, etc.
There is no substitute for a well run business, and abiding by these “3 Keys” will position your SBE as a Strategic Supplier for the Fortune 1000.
Your feedback is most appreciated!
Dave Cady | Puritan Press, Inc.
Major Mail | Capital Offset
C – 508 847-1155 | www.puritanpress.com
T – 603 889-4500 | 800 635-6302
F – 603 889-6551
April 2012: The Supplier Spotlight Monthly SBE Contest.
Sponsored by Supplier-Connection – An initiative of major US companies committed to spending more with US-based small businesses.